Re: [Evolution-hackers] Marcus Bains Line in calendar

On Mon, 2005-03-28 at 16:32 -0500, Thouis (Ray) Jones wrote:
> > So I've been playing around with this since last week, very cool.  We
> > could definitely take this feature for 2.3/2.4.  Some comments:
> >
> > -the configuration item should probably be at the bottom of the General
> > section just so it doesn't needlessly disrupt the relative layout of the
> > other items
>
> Agreed.  I will make this change to the patch.
>
> > -shouldn't hard code the colors of the line - maybe the ACTIVE color or
> > something
>
> What is the default ACTIVE color?  I think it's important that the
> line in the calendar stand out just enough, and the line in the time
> bar not stand out too much.

You could just relate it to the background color then, because (for
instance), white won't work well with the Inverse accesibility theme .

> > -shouldn't use localtime to determine the time, should use
> > icaltime_current_time_with_zone and pass in the configured timezone and
> > then convert that to a time_t.
>
> If I grep icaltime... in the source, will I find a good example of how
> to do this?

Yes, several, calendar-config.c has one for instance (yes, this is not
an ideal procedure, but we are kind of stuck with it for the time
being).

> > -the exact time doesn't seem to be shown as in the above link
>
> Do you mean the time display that appears in Korganizer (just above
> the line)?   I did that purposefully, as I felt that the resolution of
> the Marcus Bains line in the calendar is sufficiently good to know the
> time within a couple minutes,  and the visual cost of the time on the
> bar doesn't give sufficient benefit.  That said, maybe it should be an
> option.  I didn't have to delve into the text-drawing code for adding
> the line, but can do so if you think it would be worth it.

Yes, thats what I mean.  Screenshot shows the exact time on the left.
The resolution is good at 5 minute time divisions say but then gets
progressively worse as you increase that value - user can always just
have a clock in the panel though :-).

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr novell com>