[Evolution-hackers] Thinking about e-d-s for handhelds

Hi,

I've been thinking recently about using evolution-data-server in the
handheld linux environment.  It has a lot going for it:

* handles email, contacts, calendar, to do
* plugable backends
* fairly sane client API
* a number of client applications already exist

However, the number of dependencies are quite high: libgnomeui, bonobo,
soup, etc.  Also a number of backends are not required on handhelds to
start with, so can be removed.  I thought I'd run my ideas past everyone
now before I start, to get feedback on what can and can not be accepted
upstream.

* libgnomeui removal

Now that my patches removing the basic libgnomeui use is in, there are
only two instances of libgnomeui code in EDS.  One is to get the
"application crashed" dialog, which I shall patch out (as its a one-line
change).  The other is a widget in libedataserverui (GnomeFileEntry),
which has been deprecated and has a replacement in GTK+ 2.6.  As the
target system uses GTK+ 2.6, I shall port the code to this new widget.

* Backend selection

I plan on adding options to configure to turn off various backends, so
that I could (for example) turn off the groupwise and webcal backends to
remove the soup dependency.

* Removing Camel usage from libebook

If I decided that I wanted to just use the contacts and calendar portion
of e-d-s, Camel still has to be built as libebook uses
CamelInternetAddress.  I plan on working out a way of removing the
dependency of camel on libebook.

* Memory use analysis

Investigation into various backends to find out how memory much memory
is being allocated, and if it can be improved to reduce memory usage.

* DBus port

This is the big task.  The current target system doesn't use CORBA for
IPC, but DBus.  I would attempt to port the backend CORBA code to DBus.

So, these are my plans.  Obviously I want to get as much as possible
into CVS, so do you have any feedback?

Thanks,
Ross
                                          jabber: ross burtonini com