Re: [Evolution-hackers] installing evolution-data-server fails on a FHS compliant system

Hi,

> No. The problem is that the FHS doesn't say anything about libexec. So,
> everyone decided that it was not FHS-compliant to have "libexec", and

libexec was in FHS in an older version - dunno which one. It was explicitely
removed in favor of /usr/lib. There was some discussion on this topic as I
remember correctly. Comment to /usr/lib:

"/usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries that are
 not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts."

> thus, everything must be put into "lib". Yeah, it is kind of stupid.
> People should really be setting libexecdir to something other than
> libdir when building things anyway. Perhaps to $libdir/exec or

Creating a non-standard generic directory under /usr/lib breaks namespace.
Imaging a software project called "exec" that uses /usr/lib/exec for some
stuff - collisions may occure. You see breaking standards cause problems - at
least on systems that abide to standards. If each software developer installs
stuff where he thinks you get a totally screwed system over time. I don't
think the FHS guys made the standard because of boredom.

I see no real reason why breaking with the standard. I vote for abiting FHS.

> I'm surprised that nobody's complained until now with these practices.

It might be true, that nobody has complained on a mailing list, but
some distributions (debian, suse, ...) had to apply patches or
additional configure parameters to workaround the problem.

I really don't understand, why it is so a big problem for you
evolution guys to change it in eds?

It is a problem:
- eds doesn't work on FHS compliant systems without patching or
special parameters

Others have the problem, too:
- Debian, Suse, ...

There is a clear solution which solves the problem for all
distributions. This solution is fully standard compliant:
- Put eds-binary into %libdir/evolution-data-server-1.2/

Please try to reconsider you opinion.

Best regards,
Christian