Re: [Evolution-hackers] Compose should follow Dialog HIG (re location of Send button)

On Sat, 2005-07-23 at 13:58 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> The Compose windows is NOT a dialog. Conceptually or in practice. It has
> menus. It has toolbars. It has Minimize/Maximize icons. It is a window.
> I don't know what the sound juicer UI is like, but the Compose window in
> Evolution is not a dialog. Please do not try to make it act like one.

Those are fair points - you would want the compose window to show up in
the window list, for example.

Maybe I should have said "dialog-like" rather than "dialog".  My
argument is that, unlike e.g. an office document, the compose window
doesn't live for a long amount of time - I click compose or reply, type
my thing, and then fire it off.  And, more importantly, my workflow runs
top to bottom - I enter in the To field, then move down to the Subject
field, and then move down to the body.  To finish it off, I hit the Send
button.  The GNOME HIG recommends that the "affirmative button" or "the
last thing that you do" is in the bottom right because the eyes start at
the top left and scans down and right, ending at the bottom right.  That
is why GNOME's OK and Cancel buttons are in a different order than
Windows (ignoring the separate issue that GNOME tends to auto-apply and
hence uses Close rather than OK).

Just my two cents.

Thanks,
Nigel.

P.S.  A somewhat out-of-date SoundJuicer screenshot is at
http://www.burtonini.com/computing/screenshots/sj-main.png
This is an application (and it has a menu bar), but it has dialog-like
one-shot (insert CD, launch SJ, do a small amount of editing (if any),
and hit the fire button) top-to-bottom workflow.