Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: Evolution Context Menus (status report)

> E) Message Menu
>         a) Open in New Window -- this was on File menu before which
>         seemed ok but here it looks weird like it belongs on Window
>         but I do not think I'd like that either. Probably should check
>         other apps for guidance.

Doesn't seem that strange to me. I think, the Message Menu is the best
place for "Open Message in New Window" to go.

>         b) Go To cascade - Not sure about this, but isn't document
>         navigation usually handled in the Edit menus like Find?  Not
>         sure I'd like Go To there either, but just asking re:
>         consistency.

Similar to the one above...

>         c) Mark As cascade
>         This is pure me-as-user opinion: everything on this menu I use
>         ALL the time and I use the menus for these settings, please do
>         not bury these on a cascade!!!

Ack. It felt pretty strange to me too, to have this deeply hidden.

But then: The (Un)Junk thingy even got it's own Tool Bar buttons.
(Un)Read and (Un)Important most likely will have it's own column in the
mail list for almost any user. So toggling this for a single mail can be
done with a single click...

The user will need those operations only
a) when changing the status for more than one mail at once (if there is
   no accelerator or he doesn't know it by heart)
b) while reading mails in a dedicated Mail Window, rather than using the
   preview pane.

btw, is "Mark as important" not important enough, to get an accelerator?

Speaking about the Preview Pane: Can we *please* rename this? There is
nothing being *pre*-viewed. It's exactly the same, as it is in a
dedicated window.

It used to be called "View / Preview Pane" which got renamed to "View /
Message Preview" in the mockup.

I'm not sure, whether the technical term "pane" is meaningful to the
user. But that may just be due to my personal view and usage of the
English language. According to my dict, "pane" is a normal, meaningful
word in English -- I just don't tend to use it in that way. ;-)

So I propose  "View / Message Pane".

>         d) Caret Mode - what is this?

The same as "View / Message Display / Caret Mode" is currently. An
accessibility thingy. Or an "ugly way to navigate and scroll your mail"
if you are lucky to not need it...

> F) Windows Menu
>         It seems to be the Components such as Mail, Calendar, Contacts
>         and Tasks should be on this menu instead of their own Tools
>         menu.  You are switching the context completely so they could
>         be a Window.
>
> G) Tools Menu
>
>         If we move the components to Window, and do not put anything
>         else here, we could possibly remove Tools completely.

As I mentioned in my other post: Keep "Tools" and shift some other tool
like operations there.

FWIW, the mockup I got, didn't have the Window menu, but the Tools one
with all the components.

...guenther