Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: Evolution Context Menus (status report)

Just a couple of notes. This sure is work in progress, and dealing with
it already gave me some headache. (Caveat: I had a look at a mockup
which wasn't available as screenshots on the website yet. So YMMV, but
Benjamin should know what I'm talking about at least.)

First of all: I do like the general idea of re-arranging the menus,
especially bits like the Folder and Message menus.

Anyway, I fail to see the logic behind it some times. Where do you draw
the line?

There is a sub-menu "Message / Mark As", which sure acts on mails.
Marking a mail as important, read or unread is an operation on a mail.
Agreed.

But why should deleting and undeleting a mail not be such an operation?
They are in the Edit menu now (current mockup), although they are
operations on a mail, too -- and no editing at all. The action even is
named "Delete Message".

Folder / Mark Messages as Read

This is misleading. It should clearly state that it marks *all* messages
as read, which it is currently.

Folder / Select All Messages
Edit / Select All

This is redundant, isn't it? Is selecting all messages really an Edit
operation? Even worse, there is an "Edit / Unselect All" operation, but
no such equivalent in the Folder menu.

Message / Reply to Author

to work around braindead mailing lists that hijack the Reply-To header.
Anyway, the accelerator MUST NOT be the same as is currently used for
"Reply to All" (Shift-Ctrl-R).

Message / Reply *

The icon used for Reply is the one currently used for Reply To All. The
icon for Reply to Author currently is Reply to Sender (which is renamed
to "Reply" only in the new UI).

In short: Please don't change neither icons nor accelerators (!) of such
fundamental operations, unless you have a *really* good reason to.

View / Message Display (currently, not the mockup)

This is messed up in the mockup. Having "View / All Message Headers" as
an toggle option, and "View / Message Source" as an individual option,
gives us exactly one option more than we currently have:
  View Message Source *without* Full Headers

Do we want that at all? I don't think so, viewing the Source without the
full headers should not be offered. If a (power) user wants to see the
message source, he most likely wants to see the entire source always.

File / Empty Trash
File / Forget Passwords

I don't think those operations belong to the File menu. Aren't they like
tools? (see below)

Tools

In the particular mockup version I got, the Tools menu isn't properly
named. It should be Components, as it's only contents are exactly this,
the components.

Anyway, I think Tools is good, and this naming leaves some room to
extend this menu. As already mentioned, I would propose "Empty Trash"
and "Forget Passwords" to be shifted to the Tools menu, rather than
File. Even if you think it doesn't fit good, does it fit any better into
File?

View / Filter Messages

As already discussed on IRC, this should not be Filter. Filters (current
naming, see below for Filters vs. Rules) are applied to new received
mails automatically (if enabled) or manually by "Message / Apply
Filters". Don't use the same name for different things.

I still don't know a better word. Maybe the "Rules" you and Rodney came
up with aren't that bad at all... *shrug*

Uhm, or maybe the other way around?

Rules are "general rules" that can be applied to (incoming) messages, if
the rules match (thus the thing formerly known as Filters).

A Filter is something that allows special parts to pass only. Like
applying Filters, to filter out some mails the user doesn't want to see
this very moment. Which would be the Searches named thingy before (and
in current mockups called Filter as well).

But then, I still like the Saved Searches, cause it just is that. There
is a Search bar, and you can have the very same Searches saved for later
usage. Or is this really a Filter Bar or even a Rules Bar?

Then there is the confusion of vFolders being renamed. To Search
Folders. Yuck...

Leaving the detailed order or the options as an exercise for later, once
we at least settled on the main menu structure and where those
operations belong...

...guenther