Re: [Evolution-hackers] Ditching ETable

On Mon, 2004-09-13 at 13:45 -0400, JP Rosevear wrote:
> What would people think if we replaced the remaining etable usages (mail
> and task/calendar lists) with GtkTreeView?  The advantages are:
>
> 1) One less big piece of complicated code to maintain
>
> 2) Bi-directional text will just work
>
> 3) A11y work will be easier
>
> The disadvantages are:
>
> 1) Potential performance hit (really only matters for mail, unlikely to
> have 10000 tasks or events in a month), NotZed said that performance
> wasn't bad in his eplugin test (improved from earlier gtk's anyhow) and
> spending 1-2 man months on the performance issues is less work than
> doing various bits of etable maintenance work in all likeliehood.

FWIW (the component I maintain doesn't use ETable a lot) I think moving
to GtkTreeView is the only way forward. We'll be using one table API,
and it'll be the platform table API. If it sucks, we help fix it. And it
isn't fundamentally broken IMO, so whatever problems exist should be
fixable.

--
Hans Petter