Re: [Evolution-hackers] NTLM stuff

On man, 2004-05-17 at 10:10 -0400, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > How so? If OpenLDAP learns how to speak NTLM, what do we need a special
> > version for?
> Because it will take at least a year to make it into the distros
> properly.

Oh, ok. That makes sense.
> > Current situation:
> > Ximian Connector contains NTLM-functionality.
> > To use the Connector, you need a patched version of OpenLDAP.
> > The patched version of OpenLDAP calls some functions in the Connector to
> > do NTLM.
> No. The patched version of OpenLDAP adds some hooks that the exchange
> code connects to.

Aha! I think the penny just dropped. :-)

> This is no different than the callbacks provided by the other libraries that
>  evolution-exchange uses... GTK+ for example.

Except of course that GTK+ does what Evolution needs without pathces,
right?

> > I'm quite sure that we can agree that the patched version of OpenLDAP
> > and the Connector have an interdependency, right?
> No. Because they don't. :)

Well, if you want to do NTLM with OpenLDAP, then yes, but otherwise
no. :-)

> > The situation I propose:
> > The NTLM-functionality from the Connector is moved into a new library
> > (libntlm).
> > The patch to OpenLDAP which is currently used for the Connector, is
> > submitted to upstream. This creates a dependency between OpenLDAP and
> > libntlm.
> > The Connector can now run with the new stock OpenLDAP.
> There's no need for a libntlm. We can just put the code straight into
> OpenLDAP. Having a libntlm would end up creating a mess of dependencies
> between more than 2 modules.

Okie. I don't know how complex NTLM is. I just assumed it was pretty
complex, and Evolution still needs to do it itself for SMTP and IMAP
authentication, and then it'd make sense to move it into a library. But
hey, if it's that simple, all that's left to do is to forward the
OpenLDAP patch to upstream?

--
Salu2, Søren. (wannabe Evolution-hacker)