Re: [Evolution-hackers] NTLM stuff

> I can't remember off the top of my head where I read it, but I believe
> that the patch to OpenLDAP merely puts hooks into it to call the actual
> NTLM functions inside Evolution.

Other way around. The patch adds an API to OpenLDAP that takes an NTLM
request and constructs an LDAP auth request containing it, and another
API to extract the NTLM response from the LDAP auth response.

> These are the functions that I'm
> proposing be moved outside of Evolution so that an NTLM-enabled version
> of OpenLDAP wouldn't depend on Evolution.

Right, the patched OpenLDAP doesn't actually depend on evolution, it's
just that the new API isn't useful on its own.

But anyway, we should try to get a better solution. If the OpenLDAP team
is interested in adding NTLM support to OpenLDAP, then we can send them
a self-contained patch and get that added. If not, they may still be ok
with adding either the specific API we're currently using, or a more
generic low-level API that could possibly be used for other things.

Either way though, it would be a while before the changes made it into a
stable release, and from there into the various distros...

-- Dan