Re: [Evolution-hackers] compression for folders?

you are forgetting the fact that folders are generally not read-only,
and so in order to write any new data to the gzip file, you'd have to
rewrite it from scratch which negates any speed improvements you could
possibly claim.

also, as a curiosity, I actually tested this theory and it doesn't hold
true. reading/inflating a gzip file off disk is no faster than reading
the non-compressed file off disk, *and* inflating the gzip file pegs the
cpu so if the app was doing other things then it would negatively impact
performance of those other operations.

Jeff