Re: [Evolution-hackers] compression for folders?

On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 11:51 -0500, todd fries net wrote:
I'm not quite sure what the difference between archival and transparent
compression would be.

the obvious answer is that with archived folders, the folders can be considered to be "read-only" which means compression won't really get in the way (performance wise) since the folders can be assumed to be read only "once in a while".

whereas, if you wanted to enable compression for your "in-use" (for lack of a better term?) folders, then it would be a significant enough problem to make it a pita because they are constantly being modified (appended to, expunged, etc).

Jeff

I get the impression archival would be, well, not very useful if I
wanted to see all emails from my wife since I've known her, for example.
Would vfolders work on archives?  If so, then what is the difference
between transparent compression and non transparent compression?

BTW, you guys misread my statement.  I have 3gb of mbox files that are
compressed already with 'bzip2 -9' ..

In general, I never throw away email, because I have so much spam that I
can't trust the auto filters to throw it away, and on more than one
occasion important documents have been retrieved from the spam filter
box, case in point the recent tax season saw the pdf email from my
accountant show up in the spambox.

Anyway, I need not justify to you guys why I have so much mail, only
impress upon you that I do have so much mail that I wish to utilize
evolution to access.

I'm going to test out a port of 1.5 to OpenBSD and from there perhaps
migrate to cvs head, from which I can consider developing transparent
compression techniques.

Looks like I'll be searching for the bug related to this ?? .. hopefully
it isn't too small of a needle buried in too big of a proverbial
haystack.

--
Todd Fries .. todd fries net

|                                             \  1.636.410.0632 (voice)
| Free Daemon Consulting, LLC                 \  1.405.227.9094 (voice)
| http://FreeDaemonConsulting.com             \  1.866.792.3418 (FAX)
| "..in support of free software solutions."  \  1.700.227.9094 (IAXTEL)
|                                             \          250797 (FWD)

              37E7 D3EB 74D0 8D66 A68D  B866 0326 204E 3F42 004A
                        http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt