Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution Webcal 1.0.2

On Mër , 2004-03-17 at 17:10, William Jon McCann wrote:
> Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > Evolution Webcal 1.0.2 is now ready for public consumption and the
> > enjoyment of clicking webcal: urls in your web browsr and having them
> > pop up a subscription dialog. The calendars will automatically appear in
> > Evolution 1.5.x if it is running, or will show up the next time you
> > start Evolution. It registers as the Gnome URL Handler for "webcal:" so
> > that any gnome application can open it when you click on these types of
> > URLs. Other non-gnome applications can easily set their URL handler to
> > be "gnome-open" as well, and those applications can use the Gnome URL
> > Handlers as well.
>
> Hi,
>
> Very nice.  Is this indended to be a text/calendar MIME type handler too?

Not currently, no.

> It seems to require http URIs.  Could this be generalized to handle any
> gnome-vfs URI type that has a text/calendar MIME type ?

Right. It requires the passing of the http/https/webcal uri on the
command line, and then it will do the subscribe dialog stuff for that,
assuming it is a valid calendar. It could be generalized, but I do not
intend to do that yet, because some of the stuff that needs to work in
certain ways, does not. For instance, opening a text/calendar mime type
in mozilla or such, typically results in the file being downloaded to a
temporary location, and then the local file uri being passed to the app.

> Two use cases:
>
>   - clicking on a file in nautilus

It seems like the user would probably rather import this, than subscribe
to local files. If the file is not local though, it might make sense to
subscribe to it. The importing requires additional support inside the
evolution core, which isn't there yet.

>   -
> http://landfill.mozilla.org/bugzilla-tip/buglist.cgi?query_format=&short_desc_type=allwordssubstr&short_desc=&long_desc_type=allwordssubstr&long_desc=&bug_file_loc_type=allwordssubstr&bug_file_loc=&status_whiteboard_type=allwordssubstr&status_whiteboard=&keywords_type=allwords&keywords=&bug_status=REOPENED&emailassigned_to1=1&emailtype1=substring&email1=&emailassigned_to2=1&emailreporter2=1&emailcc2=1&emailtype2=substring&email2=&bugidtype=include&bug_id=&votes=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&field0-0-0=noop&type0-0-0=noop&value0-0-0=&ctype=ics
>
> This will allow us to get our bugzilla TODO lists automatically updated
> in our gnome-panel calendar :)

Yes. This would be excellent. I would love to do it, if someone can help
me to figure out how to override mime type handlers in a mozilla
extension. I already have an extension that overrides the URL handlers
inside mozilla, by calling "gnome-open", and is actually how I use this.
:) If I can get mime type handlers overridden to do similarly though, I
could do a lot more than just the text/calendar thing.

-- dobey