Re: [Evolution-hackers] Controlling Evo from an external program

On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 08:50 -0400, Tessa Lau wrote:
> > Why don't you just setup a vfolder of all folders?
>
> I've done that.  The problems are:
>
> 1) Full-text search over the message body is very slow.
>
> 2) I don't like having to choose between body or receipient or sender or
> anything else.  Mairix has one search box, and it searches everything.
> Searches are also more powerful; for example, I can combine a date-range
> search with a keyword search ("all messages in March containing fruit").

what's stopping you from doing this search in evolution?

If  [all criteria are met]
Date received is after 01-Mar-2004
Date received is before 01-Apr-2004
Message Body contains fruit

does exactly what you are after.

> 3) Mairix has an option to return all threads that match a search term,
> not just the individual messages.

so does Evolution (in the 1.5 series)

> > It just seems a very round-a-bout way of doing things.
>
> Agreed.  But after using Gmail for a while, I got used to the
> search-based interface to email.  But I also like Evolution, so I'm
> trying to make it as much like Gmail as I can.  It's not there yet.  In
> Evolution I still spend way too much of my time trying to locate a
> particular message.
>
> > In 1.5 you can view a specific message but thats all.  You can't do much
> > else.  Like i siad, none of the api's have been designed for this.
>
> This is a start.  I see tantalizing hints of it here:
>
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/dashboard-hackers/2004-May/msg00011.html
>
> How do I construct the URI?  What's my accountid?

your account ids are in your gconf settings
under /apps/evolution/mail/accounts

>   How do I find out the
> uid of a message?

depends on the storage mechanism...