Re: [Evolution-hackers] Folders: Displayed/real names

Am Mi, den 02.06.2004, 12:25 Uhr +0200 schrieb Christian Neumair:
> Am Mi, den 02.06.2004, 10:45 Uhr +0800 schrieb Not Zed:
> > On Tue, 2004-06-01 at 23:27 +0200, Christian Neumair wrote:
> > > During the i18n fixes I've written for Evo during the last few hours
> > > I've seen that there are many locations where we need to display the
> > > translated name of the following folders:
> > > Inbox, Outbox, Drafts, Sent, Trash (virtual), Junk (virtual). The
> > > problem is that the name of the camel folder associated with them is
> > > always untranslated for good reasons: the full_name/name struct members
> > > seem to represent the folder path on the storage to the folder. Now, in
> > > my opinion we've got two possibilities to resolve this issue:
> > > We can either add a char *localized_name to the struct, and let it be
> > > NULL for non-stock folders or do strcmp for all stock folders in many
> > > locations (folder properties, bar above the folder treeview etc.).
> > > To me, the matter seems to be more reasonable.
> > > Comments, suggestions?
> >
> > Do you have a specific list of these problem areas?
>
> At least the folder treeview of the e-mail component (i.e. all folder
> pickers), the bar above the treeview, the folder property dialog, the
> account editor (Defaults). In general, all GUIs that use CamelFolderInfo
> name information and display it.
>
> > We don't want to add a localised name field if it can be avoided, nor
> > do we want to gettext all names displayed.
>
> To be honest I don't know a soltion. We have to decide whether
> CamelFolderInfo should contain that information or we gettext in various
> places (treeview, dialogs, etc.) depending on whether the folder's name
> is "Inbox", "Outbox", ... . The latter seems to be rather unreliable
> because in theory any non-special folder might match that condition. I
> still see no alternative to adding a new struct member.

Looks like I've found another possible solution: We could write a
function that translates camel folders into display names. It would
compare the folder->full_name to "inbox", "outbox", ... and if it
matches one of them, it returns _("Inbox"), _("Outbox"), ... . Else, it
returns folder->name.

regs,
 Chris