Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution Future Roadmap

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:43:15PM -0400, JP Rosevear wrote:
> I'd like to start laying down a road map for Evolution to give some
> direction to the hackers that work on Evolution after 2.0.
>
> This plan is to to cover 3 versions after 2.0, coinciding with
> approximately 6 month releases cycles of GNOME, this is mostly core
> stuff and not absolute (for instance we'd put in other backends for
> opengroupware, exchange it, etc if they became available).  We want to
> list specific functional goals that are largish in nature.  A lot of
> smaller features will just end up as EPlugins.
>
> Bring on the feedback.

Exciting stuff. I look forward to the new functionality, especially
EPlugins.

One thing I would like to propose for consideration in the future. As
I'm sure some of you know, as I've talked to a couple developers on
the project, I am working on a desktop presence framework called
Galago (http://galago.sourceforge.net/). There was talk on the
Gaim/Evolution presence bounty about adding presence support in a
less hacky, sane way to Evolution at some point. Now, I should be
clear in that I'm not trying to win this bounty. I want to see
presence integrated into all appropriate areas of the desktop.

Anyhow, I have a very basic patch for Evolution currently that shows
presence for accounts in the contact views (as can be seen on the
screenshots page). This will soon extend to the mail client and other
areas. Working with Galago is rather easy, as the client library was
designed to mostly Just Work. On top of that is a widget library that
allows applications to display presence information and keep it
updated without having to do much of anything at all.

This is something I would like to speak with you guys about in more
depth in the future, but I would like to see Galago integration
eventually included. My plan is to propose Galago for GNOME 2.10, just
to give some estimation of my timeframe. However, there's a
development release coming out this week or next.

I'll be moving to Palo Alto within a month, so perhaps I could meet up
with a couple of you and discuss things in person, if the Evolution
team is interested in such functionality.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond         <>  The Galago Project
chipx86 gnupdate org      <>  http://galago.sourceforge.net/