Re: [Evolution-hackers] RFC: Check for mail only in subscribed folders.

On Thu, 2004-01-08 at 09:25 -0500, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> well, then this is a bug in the way the current imap code works. I don't
> want to add hacks that we will have to keep around forever even after
> we've fixed the source of the problem.

This is indeed a bug -- but fixing it doesn't completely obsolete what
I've just implemented, because reducing the amount of network traffic is
_still_ a useful goal, even if that extra network traffic doesn't remain
quite such a usability problem as it is at the moment, by happening
_before_ real foreground traffic.

On GPRS I'm paying by the megabyte. Although it's been told to _show_
all folders, Evolution really shouldn't be checking for new mail in
folders which aren't active.

IMAP says that the 'subscribed' folders are 'active', and doesn't define
'active'. There's obviously scope for interpretation -- some people take
it to mean the list of those folders which should be seen, and
completely hide unsubscribed folders. That's not universal though --
hence the existing option to show all folders.

In the case where we _don't_ take subscription to mean that a folder
should be visible, I cannot comprehend any _other_ meaning for 'active'
folders other than that they are the ones which receive new mail. Can
you?

It seems to make sense.

I would settle for a way to specifically identify folders to be checks,
as either you or NotZed suggested -- but using the list of subscribed
folders, or at least _optionally_ doing so, seems to make a lot more
sense.

--
dwmw2