Re: [Evolution-hackers] importers?

On Fri, 2004-02-13 at 17:02 +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:

> On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 23:53, Aaron Weber wrote:
>
> > Individual file imports of mbox files copied from Eudora fail all too
> > often, although I don't know why; I think possibly because of Windows
> > vs. Linux newlines?
>
> I'll throw in my 2c, from experience working with Eudora as a sysadmin.
>
> Historically, Eudora has had awful mbox handling. While this appears to
> have improved in recent versions, I can identify one specific problem in
> some older versions of Eudora (3.x and maybe 4.x) that may be affecting
> import into Evo.
>
> Eudora likes to split attachments out of the message and store them in a
> separate directory. Unfortunately, at least in older version of Eudora,
> it used to fail to remove the MIME part the attachment was in - causing
> the message to be left in the mbox file with an unterminated MIME part.
> Some mail readers, such as Mozilla ( I haven't tested specifically with
> Evo) don't recognise the next message as such because they're still
> looking for the mime boundary. Often the mailbox appears as one giant

Sounds fun.  Evolution should handle this at least, without putting
everything in one message.

> message, or sometimes a few small ones first. I wrote an (ugly) perl
> script to fix this when migrating from Eudora 3.x to Mozilla on LTSP,
> but surely there's a better way to handle it.
>
> When assisting people with email migration, I've also seen issues with
> more recent eudora mbox files, but the problem appears less severe. The
> best solution I've found so far is to use the Netscape eudora importer
> to re-integrate the mailboxes with the removed attachments and save them
> as a more normal mbox file. This imports fine into evolution, NS7,
> mozilla, etc.

I'm sure removing attachments sounded like a good idea at the time
(we've had a few obivously ex eudorans ask for the feature but it never
got anywhere) ...

> BTW, I've had no issues with CRLF vs CR-only vs LF-only newlines for
> MBOX files so far.

Evo doesn't handle cr-only but should handle crlf transparently.