Re: [Evolution-hackers] importers?

On Fri, 2004-02-06 at 23:53, Aaron Weber wrote:

> Individual file imports of mbox files copied from Eudora fail all too
> often, although I don't know why; I think possibly because of Windows
> vs. Linux newlines?

I'll throw in my 2c, from experience working with Eudora as a sysadmin.

Historically, Eudora has had awful mbox handling. While this appears to
have improved in recent versions, I can identify one specific problem in
some older versions of Eudora (3.x and maybe 4.x) that may be affecting
import into Evo.

Eudora likes to split attachments out of the message and store them in a
separate directory. Unfortunately, at least in older version of Eudora,
it used to fail to remove the MIME part the attachment was in - causing
the message to be left in the mbox file with an unterminated MIME part.
Some mail readers, such as Mozilla ( I haven't tested specifically with
Evo) don't recognise the next message as such because they're still
looking for the mime boundary. Often the mailbox appears as one giant
message, or sometimes a few small ones first. I wrote an (ugly) perl
script to fix this when migrating from Eudora 3.x to Mozilla on LTSP,
but surely there's a better way to handle it.

When assisting people with email migration, I've also seen issues with
more recent eudora mbox files, but the problem appears less severe. The
best solution I've found so far is to use the Netscape eudora importer
to re-integrate the mailboxes with the removed attachments and save them
as a more normal mbox file. This imports fine into evolution, NS7,
mozilla, etc.

BTW, I've had no issues with CRLF vs CR-only vs LF-only newlines for
MBOX files so far.

Craig Ringer