Re: [Evolution-hackers] component information area.

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 12:22 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Enj , 2004-04-01 at 17:49 +0200, guenther wrote:
>
> > > Proposal
> > >
> > > Keeping the above tasks and analysis in mind, we propose using the
> > > following design to provide information about the currently selected
> > > component (and folder).
> > >
> > > http://primates.ximian.com/~anna/component_info.png
> >
> > Great, the Component Information finally gets back. :)
> >
> > Although you will need a very wide folder list, to not cut off vital
> > information. Looking at the screenshot, this is another info:
> >
> >  [M] Mail (evolution-hackers) - 20 unread, 10000 total
>
> We can probably avoid saying "Mail" here, since we will have the icon,
> and it will be very obvious which component you are in, based on the
> larger, more visible parts of the UI.
>
> That leaves us with:
>
> [M] evolution-hackers - 20 unread, 10000 total
>
> So, if that is still too big for the horizontal space, basically, what
> will happen is this:
>
> [M] evolu... - 20 unread, 10000 total
>
> The label on the left will be clipped, while the one to the right will
> not, and will be right-aligned.This will allow the resizing to work how
> we want it to, and give the information we need.

I'd be nicer if it changed the actual content based on the size, rather
than just clipped it.  Having a bunch of folders showing up as
"evolu..." isn't going to be particularly useful to anyone :)

[M] evolution-hackers 1000 <b>(20)</b>
or
        "             1000/<b>20</b>

Would be a better shorter-name view (that fits in the same size), for
instance, and relates the same info in a fairly readable format.

And the "..." stuff wastes so much space there's gotta be a better way
to do that too.

I was playing with a label widget which could display alternate strings
depending on which one fits yesterday, planning for this.