Re: [Evolution-hackers] compiling evolution-groupwise

On Wed, 2003-10-08 at 05:17, Michael Meeks wrote:
> Hi Cameron,
>
> On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 20:13, Cameron Meadors wrote:
> > I am running current XD2 with the current evolution 1.4.5.  I have had
> > consistent problems with libtool stuff.  I have worked around it so far
> > without problems.  If I go around libtool in this instance, libs such as
> > libeshell can not be found at run time.
>
> 	This was (is) a bug with some packages shipping .la files and some not;
> simply get used to doing rm -f /usr/lib/*.la and you'll be fine :-) .la
> files are redundant (and painful) on Linux.

They're not always redundant. They're needed in directories that aren't
in ld.so.conf (eg, /usr/lib/evolution/1.4) or else libtool won't add in
-R flags when linking against them. But since those .la files may
reference other .la files, that means that you need to have the same .la
files in /usr/lib as the system your evolution-devel package was built
on (which is why I thought his problem might have been xd2 vs
xd-unstable).

(I'm not sure they're really painful any more either. The "-lm -lm -lm
-lm ..." bug that made people first start deleting them has been fixed
for a few releases now.)

-- Dan