Re: [Evolution-hackers] Appointment and Meeting Editors -- 2.0 Thoughts

-----snip -------

> My sense so far (informed by engaging in dialogue with the people who
> report using them) is that most of the people who use multiple alarms
> use them "count down" style. They seem to repeat one type of alarm a few
> times to ensure that they are prepared for an appointment (or a task) ..
> but not to use different kinds of alarms. So what I'm wondering is if we
> can get away with allowing a nice suite of repeating options for alarms,
> instead of allowing truly "distinct" alarms.

Anna,
as you can imagine that I'm totally against of having only one alarm,
even recurring with the same description and maybe attendees. Even today
you can different descriptions (text) with different alarms for the same
appointment, a lot of people know about or use it though.
But as soon as you get Managers with say decision making power to use
evolution you will have a totally different set of users and
requirements, and it's for those people the ical spec is big and these
are the real calendar users in most companies. The bad news is if you
can't support their needs evolution will have a hard time to be selected
as a general tool, because of a simple rule. "I want to call my tech
people and they should know what I use". And the easiest way to get that
is having them use the same applications I do, and since tech support
supports it everybody uses it.  Or why is it that Outlook became so
popular, because of it's email capabilities. I don't think so, most
companies had better email with integrated address list support directly
from their HR-DB on their mainframes, but no integrated Calendar.
Just some thoughts, or been their done that.
Ronald