Re: [Evolution-hackers] Appointment and Meeting Editors -- 2.0 Thoughts

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 21:23, Anna Marie Dirks wrote:

> > You should put back the little recurrence preview calendar. It seems
> > insignificant, but IMHO it really does make Evo's recurrence editor
> > nicer to use than Outlook's. (And it's especially useful for
> > "complex"/"imported" recurrences that can't be explained via the other
> > widgets.)
>
> So, have imported recurrences ever worked, then? (My understanding is
> that they have always been broken.) It would help me to know how
> imported recurrences are set, if indeed they can be.

there are a few problems with some special recurrence settings in 1.4.x,
in the file backend. I am working on fixing all those cases right now
for 2.x, so we should expect all kinds of recurrences to work in 2.0

> My thought with including them was that it made it clearer to the user
> that it is *possible* to set start and end hours for an appointment. (If
> you can't see them, then it is harder to know for certain whether or not
> they exist.. no?) That said, we have to test this on humans anyway, so
> I'll take care to measure reactions to this.

well, the 'All day event' check box makes that clear, doesn't it?

> I'll tell you, Dan, this one is a can of worms which I'm not eager to
> open. This feels to me like we're going to have find a balance between
> absolute adherence to the ical spec, and creating a simple and usable
> UI.

well, since we are supporting more and more backends, most of them using
ical spec, I think we should have some way to view/edit events/tasks
created in more complicated UIs. I agree that having it as easier as
possible is a good goal, but we should also take into account that we
are going to allow the modification of "weird" events/tasks via the
connectors.

cheers