Re: [Evolution-hackers] mailto: (etc.) handling

On Mër , 2003-11-26 at 15:48, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 01:17, Not Zed wrote:
> > Do we need some sort of uri switch, or even some registration process
> > for uri handlers?
>
> We already have it, you put it in the .server file.  That's how mailto:
> works now.

We need a much better way to register URI support with the mime system.
Assuming that the webcal: back-end for the calendar changes to not
block out URIs that aren't webcal:, we would support whatever protocols
gnome-vfs supports. And since that support is based on loadable modules,
specifying what URIs an application supports, in a text file that is in
the system shared data tree, doesn't work so well. Doing similar inside
of Evolution ourselves would just add to the trouble, especially since
the data is in the .server files. A method for dynamically registering
what URIs something can load seems like a better goal to me, especially
if we want to be making the back-end stuff more public, so that people
can write back-ends that support whatever custom URI schemes they may
use for storing data.

The more general case of registering supported protocols with the mime
system is something that should probably take place on xdg-list or the
vfs-list also.

-- dobey