[Evolution-hackers] Re: Addressbook LDAP source UI

On Thu, 2003-11-27 at 04:14, Hans Petter Jansson wrote:
> ESource changes and named properties committed.
>
> Now I have a question about addressbook LDAP source configuration, the
> answer to which will affect how the code is structured:
>
> Currently LDAP sources are configured in Evolution preferences
> (tools->settings->directory servers), and this makes little sense in
> relation to the "new addressbook" dialog you get from the folder list's
> context menu.
>
> There are two obvious ways to handle this:
>
> 1) Let "new addressbook" do local addressbooks only. Less work, poorer
> UI.
>
> 2) Integrate LDAP source setup into the "new addressbook" dialog somehow
> - for instance, if the user creates an LDAP source, the druid could pop
> up prompting for further information [although we might want to do it in
> the same dialog - requires thought]. More work, better UI. We could
> leave the Directory Servers configuration in, since it lets you edit
> existing entries.
>
> What do you prefer? I'm sure you (at least JP and Chris) have thoughts
> on this. I'd like to hear them.

We want to do 2) I think because for every backend that gets added its
unlikely we want to do a separate config control.  I also think it
should be done without popping up an additional dialog (dialogs on
dialogs is never nice).  As for existing directory servers, these should
be configured via the migrate () shell component mechanism.  Now, where
the UI bits reside for each backend type is a different issue, but
probably in evolution for now is fine (although try and keep the ldap
and local bits atleast a bit separate in case we want to install them or
put them in e-d-s at some point).

-JP
--
JP Rosevear <jpr ximian com>