Re: [Evolution-hackers] Is it possible to get the system's timezone setting string?

On Wed, 2003-11-05 at 04:03, Harry Lu wrote:
> Hi,
>     Is there a C function to get the system's timezone setting string,
> such as (Asia/Shanghai, America/New_York)?

No. You can generally get the traditional timezone name (eg, EST for
America/New_York), but those aren't unique (there are 20 zones that use
EST as an abbreviation).

On some systems, the TZ environment variable will be set to an
Olson-style timezone name. Also, on some systems, /etc/localtime will be
a symlink to a path ending with an Olson-style timezone name (eg,
/usr/share/zoneinfo/America/Indiana/Indianapolis). But on my system
(SuSE 8.2), neither of those is true. ($TZ is unset and /etc/localtime
is a hard link.) But it would at least help in some cases.

-- Dan