[Multisync-users] Re: [Evolution-hackers] syncronizing with almost everything using multisync

I'm moving the discsussion to the multisync list as it is better suited
there...

On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 09:21, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-03-04 at 07:04, Björn Torkelsson wrote:
>
> > You are of course using the remote plugin in multisync to sync your
> > evolution at home and at work (more or less) instantly. Why going
> > through the phone?
>
> No, I haven't played with that yet. I had a quick look and all it seemed
> to be able to do was listen on a TCP port for a later connection. That
> doesn't really work when both machines are behind a NAT firewall, and I
> don't really want code I don't know much about listening on
> publicly-accessible ports anyway.

You can always check the code to make sure nothing bad is going on...

> I need to fix multisync the way I fixed my Evolutions at home and at
> work to get each one to talk to the other's local folders by IMAP -- by
> using SSH to make the connection.

Why not use a ssh-tunnel then? And leave multisync running on one of
your machines?

> Unlike anything which wants to make its own TCP connections, SSH is
> _perfectly_ happy to connect 'directly' to internal machines for me from
> the outside world with something like this in its config file:
>
> 	Host *.davesemployer.internal
> 	  ProxyCommand ssh bastionhost.davesemployer.com netcat %h %p
>
> Then instead of trying to do a DNS lookup and connect directly to
> anything in the company-internal domain, it instead logs in to the
> public-facing bastion host and runs 'netcat' on that to connect to the
> internal machine in question.
>
> Multisync needs to get a 'daemon' mode where it can be invoked from SSH
> and communicate over stdin/stdout, just like imap/cvs/bitkeeper/etc.
> can; then I'll play with syncing them directly.

Well, yes, I tend to agree with you. A daemon (or a cmdline) mode would
be nice. However right know I think I would prefer something that can
sit on my panel (using the system tray) and a port to gnome 2 so that I
can free some space on my desktop...

Another Idea would be to add some kind of proxy to multisync or add the
posibility to use external commands to set up the connections between
various multisync instances.

/torkel