Re: [Evolution-hackers] Storing Evolution config in an IMAP folder?

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 16:33, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> Think about your solution a bit... if the config is on the imap server,
> and the config tells evo which imap server to connect to and other
> config info, how will evo be able to get it? :-)

Is this a serious comment?

Of course 100% of the config can't be stored remotely.

> a better way would be to modify gconf to store config data over ACAP or
> whatever that protocol is. But that is beyond the scope of Evolution,
> you should instead talk to Havoc Pennington <hp redhat com>

IMAP is a solution for central storage of email for a consistent view of
your folders from multiple locations and clients.

Is it such a great leap for an email client, that already is
communicating(1) with the IMAP server, to store user preferences and
settings(2) there?

Since we are already using IMAP, email clients can do this today without
waiting for vaporous protocol-of-the-hour to be implemented at the
client and server level and be supported.

PINE has been doing this for 3 years.

(1) "already communicating" is pretty key. IMAP servers are commonly
deployed so that workers in the office or on the road can access them
(often over SSL). The firewalling issues are already taken care of. How
does ACAP or whatever that protocol is address this?

(2) IMAP can be used/abused as generic file server / information store
that has strong user authentication and can run over SSL.

Dax Kelson
Guru Labs