Re: [Evolution-hackers] Re: evo calendar mockup

On Thu, 2003-07-24 at 16:09, Dan Winship wrote:
> > http://primates.ximian.com/~tigert/stuff/mockup-calendar.png
>
> Sweet.
>
> So what does the "Today" section look like when you're looking at
> another day?
>       * It could just disappear, but you'd talked about the idea of
>         having weather forecasts when you looked ahead to future days,
>         and it's not clear where they'd go then.
>       * It could just say the same, but that might be confusing (and
>         still wouldn't solve the forecast problem)
>       * It could try to change to match the currently-viewed day,
>         showing either tasks that were completed on/will be due on that
>         day, historical/forecast weather data, etc.

I think the third point is what it could do. Reminds me of the Windows
XP "sidebar" on the file manager windows that shows relevant stuff for
whatever folder you are in and changes accordingly. If you have digital
photos on the folder, it shows "Order prints.." and "Slideshow" and
"Publish photos on the web" etc.. and for other kinds of folder content
it shows different things.

So for non-"today" it would just show a weather forecast if one exists,
and if it didnt, just leave it out. etc..

I mean, if there are useful things to show there, we can add them, but
it does not *have* to contain a gazillion things. It was just to replace
the summary component that is kind of out of place since you cannot
really do anything in the summary itself - the useful summary content
could be moved to the day view just fine, that was the idea.

> If the headlines section lets you subscribe to arbitrary rss/rdf feeds,
> it should probably just say "Headlines" rather than "News Headlines".

Or we can just drop the RSS stuff altogether - I think most people just
rather use a web browser to browse news sites anyway..?

It could have other useful things though, so we can give it some
additional thought. The things I put there were just quick ideas, we can
think of others too.

> Showing a full 24 hours seems like a waste of space that could be better
> devoted to showing more detail in the active part of the day.

Yea, that was just a mockup restriction, dont worry about that. It was
just cut/paste pixels from my current evo version.

It definitely can be done in a more more smart way.

Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert ximian com>