subscribing to calendars WAS Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution 2.0 UI proposal

There a few other threads that are working along the same lines.  When you say subscribe, does that
mean pulling down the calendar manually and placing it on the network or would evo have methods for
storing a url and downloading the file for you?

Tuomas Kuosmanen wrote:
| On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 15:56, Brent L. Damms wrote:
|

|>I like the concept of grouping, but what we have to day solves most
|>cases.
|>
|>Indeed what it difference in users mind between these two screen shots.
|>
|>http://jason.redsys.net/evo2/calendar.png
|>
|>http://primates.ximian.com/~anna/evo2/evo2_calendar.png
|>
|>I'd seriously argue not a great deal; OK the visuals are different but
|>the conceptual framework is the same - i.e. a group of calendars
|

| Hi!
|
| The deal with the new calendar grouping is this: the plan is to support
| "subscribing" to calendar files from the network. So you can for example
| go to www.icalshare.com and there are a big bunch of pre-done calendar
| files people have done and decided to share. This way it is easy to get
| useful data in your calendar. Lets think you get movie premiers for your
| town, you pull in the product release schedule calendar from your
| company intranet, you have a calendar of birthdays of your own, you got
| stuff on an Exchange share etc. With current Evolution you can have this
| (apart from the web subscription) but it is not that useful since those
| are all separate calendars. With the new plan, you can have all those
| overlaid on the calendar display, and events from different calendars
| could show with different colors so you can spot things easily.
|
| Want to see if there is a new movie on your friend's birthday? Easy.
| Select "movie premiers" and "birthdays" calendars for showing. Wondering
| still if you had any eeky deadlines to catch at that time? Add in the
| work schedule calendar or study stuff or ... You get the idea.
|
| With current Evolution you have all that data but it is separate. Unless
| you just import it all to the same calendar where it is easy to clutter
| stuff. So this is a way to define what kind of stuff you want to see in
| the calendar.
|
| This could also be extended with filtering: "Only show movie previews on
| fridays and saturdays" etc.
|
| Tuomas

- --
JT Moree