Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution 2.0 UI proposal

On Tue, 2003-07-22 at 15:56, Brent L. Damms wrote:

> I like the concept of grouping, but what we have to day solves most
> cases.
>
> Indeed what it difference in users mind between these two screen shots.
>
> http://jason.redsys.net/evo2/calendar.png
>
> http://primates.ximian.com/~anna/evo2/evo2_calendar.png
>
> I'd seriously argue not a great deal; OK the visuals are different but
> the conceptual framework is the same - i.e. a group of calendars

Hi!

The deal with the new calendar grouping is this: the plan is to support
"subscribing" to calendar files from the network. So you can for example
go to www.icalshare.com and there are a big bunch of pre-done calendar
files people have done and decided to share. This way it is easy to get
useful data in your calendar. Lets think you get movie premiers for your
town, you pull in the product release schedule calendar from your
company intranet, you have a calendar of birthdays of your own, you got
stuff on an Exchange share etc. With current Evolution you can have this
(apart from the web subscription) but it is not that useful since those
are all separate calendars. With the new plan, you can have all those
overlaid on the calendar display, and events from different calendars
could show with different colors so you can spot things easily.

Want to see if there is a new movie on your friend's birthday? Easy.
Select "movie premiers" and "birthdays" calendars for showing. Wondering
still if you had any eeky deadlines to catch at that time? Add in the
work schedule calendar or study stuff or ... You get the idea.

With current Evolution you have all that data but it is separate. Unless
you just import it all to the same calendar where it is easy to clutter
stuff. So this is a way to define what kind of stuff you want to see in
the calendar.

This could also be extended with filtering: "Only show movie previews on
fridays and saturdays" etc.

Tuomas

--
Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert ximian com>