evo calendar extension WAS Re: [Evolution-hackers] Evolution as part of groupware projects in ST Louis

Rodrigo Moya wrote:
| On Fri, 2003-07-18 at 17:28, JT Moree wrote:
|
|>Here is a summary of what we have though about and done about the Calendar functionality related to
|>Evolution:
|>
|>1) Open WebDav/http standards are used by Mozilla calendar, Apple iCal to transport icalendar (.ics)
|>files.
|>	Evolution could do the same.  I started hacking Evo to add support for this.  Unfortunately, I was
|>only on 1.0.8 which was too old to be effective anyway.  I got as far as adding the GUI components
|>but had some trouble understanding the code for doing the actual work.  May come back to this in the
|>future.
|>

| how did you implement this?
Well, I didn't actually IMPLEMENT it but my plan was to

a) add a url field to the new folder/calendar UI (which I did by using glade)
~  also add username/password fields for http auth information
b) add the url to the xml file as that stores metadata about folders for evo
c) when a calendar folder is accessed, the calendar file is created if it does not exist
~   in that routine I was going to check for <url> in the metadata and attempt to pull the file by
http(s) GET from the url instead of creating a blank calendar.
d) Eventually, I would add a publish icalendar button that would push the ical file back to the same
url using http(s) PUT

|>2) Kolab (kolab.kde.org) is the German gov't funded groupware server.
|>	This method stores all data in IMAP email.  This makes centralized storing and sharing data very
|>easy.  But this is a new implementation requiring all clients to be changed to support said interface.
|>
|>3) A program could be written (and we have some preliminary notes) that translates between Kolab and
|>ical for CALENDARING.
|>	A set of programs would have to be given priveledged access to the IMAP data store in order to
|>translate the IMAP data into icalendar files and vice versa.  This would allow a hacked version of
|>evo to support both ical/http(s) and Kolab.  The programs would be responsible for hiding private
|>data during translation.
|>

| Evolution's architecture makes it easy to add new calendar backends, so
| instead of an external program, you could write an Evolution backend
| that reads the calendar data from the IMAP folders, and convert it to
| iCalendar back and forth.

This is very intriguing.  Can I get more information on this approach?  Where can I find APIs and
documentation?

- --
JT Moree
Xperience, Inc.