Re: [Evolution-hackers] Some suggestion for the future evolution

On Wed, 2003-07-16 at 12:12, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> > * why not get ride of db 3.1.17 ? and use other storage ? then just an
> > importer (separatly packages, like the rest) that let import the old
> > addressbook ?
>
> We'd like to, but I don't know when this is going to happen.
>
> The DB3-based approach has the advantage of not requiring us to read the
> whole file at once (although we are not fully taking advantage of that
> ATM) and also not have to rewrite it from scratch every time we change
> something.
>
> Of course, we could use a mbox-and-summery-like approach of some kind,
> but that requires work and it wouldn't change much from a user's
> perspective.

I recall that the original plan for indexing was to use Medusa, but it
never progressed far enough to be reliable.  I'm trying to get it ready
for a GNOME 2.6 release.  When it is ready, you might want to re
consider it.  As it uses DB1, I feel that Evo should wait until a better
indexing/filesystem service is available.  Seth Nickell and Rodrigo Moya
have suggested Medusa switch to a real SQL-based engine, and at that
time, it would be a suitable candidate indexing Evo's data.

sinzui cox net
Guilty of stealing everything I am.