Re: [Evolution-hackers] Using Evolution as a data source in GNOME Office

On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 23:23, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-07-15 at 16:47, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > > I don't know much about libgda so excuse me if it's a dumb question,
> > > but: wouldn't it be better to work on fixing the current APIs (as Christ
> > > as been doing with EBook) instead of writing a libgda provider?
> > >
> > yes, maybe. Although as AbiWord and Gnumeric are already using libgda as
> > a way of accessing different data sources (databases, XML files, dBase
> > files), adding support to access Evolution data as alibgd a provider was
> > the simplest way for giving access to those apps to Evo data.
>
> OK, makes sense.  I guess I was not aware about how far along the libgda
> integration in GNOME Office has gone...  :-)
>
> However, I don't think libgda would work as a general way for other apps
> to access Evolution's data

no, of couse not. If those apps need to access evo directly, they should
do that. This is just intended to allow GO apps to access evo data as
they do for any other libgda data source. Thus, the already existing
mail merging feature in abiword can use the Evo contacts database for
that, as it does with any other data source.

When gnumeric, for instance, wants to do something directly with
Evolution, it should use EBook/CalClient.

>  -- we need to get going on the CalClient /
> EBook improvements.

yes :-)

cheers