Re: [Evolution-hackers] S/MIME support

> > If gpgme can come up with a common frontend api (does it?) with
> > different backends, then so could camel.
>
> Yes, gpgme has a common frontend api with OpenPGP and CMS backends using
> gnupg and gpgsm. One of my points is that gpgme already does this, and
> for camel to do it without using gpgme is basically code/effort
> duplication. Plus, I believe one of gpgme's goals is to work with
> different versions of gpg, so even if the command line options change,
> code using gpgme wouldn't have to.

Yeah I agree, but we have to use libnss for s/mime, and we can't use
gpgme without an additional layer anyway (for connector), so the
cost/benefit of using it isn't as attractive as it would be otherwise.

With a plugins (which we dont do yet), the arguments become a bit moot -
anybody can come up with an implementation that uses gpgme.  But at this
point it wont be us (i.e. Jeff), because of other constraints.