Re: [Evolution-hackers] S/MIME support
- From: Jeffrey Stedfast <fejj ximian com>
- To: Jacob Perkins <jap1 users sourceforge net>
- Cc: Not Zed <notzed ximian com>, leachbj bouncycastle org, evolution-hackers lists ximian com
- Subject: Re: [Evolution-hackers] S/MIME support
- Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 16:18:59 -0400
On Thu, 2003-07-03 at 15:30, Jeffrey Stedfast wrote:
> > gpgme aims to be, and I believe should be, the
> > standard interface for pgp and cms(s/mime) support.
> we have some private reasons for wanting to use Mozilla's NSS libs for
> S/MIME. Not sure how much I can say about this so I'll leave it at that.
1. we already link to libnss3 from mozilla for SSL, why link to another
library? it would have to be advantageous for us to link to yet another
lib for S/MIME support. But then we have the problem that our cert
manager would have to manage certs from 3 different pieces of software.
2. we've already got some preliminary code designed around the NSS apis
3. people already have mozilla on their systems, hardly anyone has gpgme
installed (debian is the only dist that even makes it available). Plus
the s/mime modules for gpgme are extras.
4. gpgme can't be used in the connector case
Evolution Hacker - Ximian, Inc.
fejj ximian com - www.ximian.com
] [Thread Prev