Re: [Evolution-hackers] camel & imap & multiple servers

On Sun, 2003-02-09 at 20:34, Stephen Farrell wrote:
> Hmm...  that's too bad because evolution is really important for the
> acceptance of Linux in corporate contexts...
>
> Another naive question: can ximian borrow ideas/implementation from
> mozilla's imap client?  I know that mozilla tends toward the baroque
> design, but as far as imap performance and reliability goes, they seemed
> to have really nailed it.  Is it conceivable to put something like xpcom
> into evolution so it can borrow bits from mozilla?  Or is this all just
> a much bigger can of worms?

I don't think camel could even use xpcom even assuming that we would
even consider the idea. camel has to remain threadsafe and if xpcom is
even close to bonobo, it's not going to be thread-safe.

it would also be a huge gross hack of a solution.

we already have some code towards the imap rewrite that notzed and I
have each done in our spare time. there is also a recent volunteer
currently starting with the design/impl that I had started working on
the rewrite, although as notzed said - we won't actually be able to get
it in anytime before 1.5.x at the earliest as we are in feature freeze.

You are free to find and assist the other volunteer if you like. I'm
sure he wouldn't mind the extra help?

note that even if the volunteer doesn't even get to it (or get far),
Ximian will eventually push notzed and I to rewrite it - ie, it *is* on
the TODO list. I don't recall which release it is targetted for though
(I believe it is either 1.6 or the release afterwards).

Jeff