Re: [Evolution-hackers] initial NNTP patch

Not Zed wrote:

But could you re-do the patch using -u3 to diff? Patch isn't liking it and not applying it automatically. I'd like to apply it and give it a test!

I have done a unified patch now:

 http://home.wanadoo.nl/meilof/evolution-nntp-patch-05

Also, first impressions, mostly just stylistic issues - read the HACKING file, you're using some things like c++ comments, gchar's etc for the basic types (at least in camel we prefer using the basic c types for basic c types), and not using k&r 'linux kernel' style indenting.

I'll fix that then.

(actually that whole method heir_find_folder is questionable, should probably use a hashtable, a linear search will get slow with a big list like a newgroup list).

hier_find_folder is used on the list of folders that is being returned by the get_folder_info list, so usually this will not be a really large list (given that get_folder_info is called recursively only in 'subscribed' mode). I had to store this in a pointer array to be able to sort the list, which is not directly possible on the structure get_folder_info returns.

Won't it just take a lot of time anyway? It could be a long list. If you have a tree view (like in the subscribe dialogue), then you could list more incrementally (i can't remember, you can do a list of alt.% or something to get a given level without having to get everything?).

The subscription code in em-subscribe-dialog _does_ an incremental list, but once it has all root folders, it will start by finding the subfolders of 'aaaa', 'aaab', etc, and there is no way to make it do 'z' before that. If you can make it do 'z' faster, then it is really fast enough I think...

I guess it would make sense to always do the latter for the subscription dialogue, and have it optional for the frontend, but the api doesn't really cater for alternatives since they both go through the same interface.

Hmmm... I personally wouldn't want a hierarchy in the main window, but I can implement it anyway. So this should be a NNTP configuration setting as well?

Meilof
-- meilof wanadoo nl