Re: [Evolution-hackers] IM entry fields patch

On Wed, Nov 26, 2003 at 12:14:41AM -0600, Chris Toshok wrote:
> This looks good and should go in.  I've been thinking, though, that
> LIST_FIELD might not be the best way to represent the im screen names,
> since it lock you into 1 set of parameters per list.  What I mean is,
> EContact won't let you do:
>
> X-AIM;TYPE=WORK:toshokwork
> X-AIM;TYPE=HOME:toshokhome
>
> Instead you're forced to do:
>
> X-AIM:toshokwork;toshokhome
>
> with no metadata per screen name.

I attempted to make the changes as we discussed on IRC, but it doesn't
appear that any of the current types for the fields support specifying
attributes along with the text. Do you (or anyone else) have a
proposal for this?

Just to provide an overview of our discussion, and my understanding of
it, the fields E_CONTACT_IM_AIM, _JABBER, _YAHOO, _MSN, and _ICQ were
changed to be MULTI_LIST_FIELDs, and _AIM_HOME_1, _2, etc.,
_AIM_WORK_1, _2, etc, and so on for each protocol were created, using
ATTR_TYPE_STR_FIELD.

Since we can have an unlimited number of accounts setup for a
particular person, we can't use _HOME_1, etc. directly. As you stated,
those are simply for convenience purposes elsewhere. We want to be
directly modifying the lists.

I could add a new type (ATTR_MULTI_LIST_FIELD?) to handle this, but I
want to consult with people here first.

Christian

--
Christian Hammond         <>  The GNUpdate Project
chipx86 gnupdate org      <>  http://www.gnupdate.org/