Re: [Evolution-hackers] Calendars and Tasks integration

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 18:37 -0400, Anna Marie Dirks wrote:

> > In the case where the calendar selection affects the task selection as
> > well, you select "Evolution" once (assuming you have an "Evolution"
> > calendar of course) and you are done.
>
> See, so I think you've hit upon the main thing that I do not understand
> about your proposal. You seem to be convinced that having a one to one
> correlation between calendar folders and task folders is the way to go.
> Can you explain a bit about how you arrived at this conclusion?
>
> I guess that because we currently don't require a one-to-one mapping
> between calendar folders and tasks folders, the idea seems a little
> strange to me. I am imagining a scenario like the following:
>
> 1. I am planning a wedding. I create a calendar called "Wedding
> Planning" in which I schedule all of the flower-selection meetings,
> cake-tasting appointments, dress fittings, etc. All of my appointments
> and meetings go in this folder.
>
> 2. There are literally thousands of tasks associated with planning a
> wedding, so I make a few different related tasks folders --
> "Invitations" (where I keep track of who all I've sent invites to),
> "Bridesmaids" (where I keep track of getting dresses, shoes, bouquets,
> etc to all of the bridesmaids)
> "Honeymoon" (where I keep track of booking hotels, finding flights,
> etc.)
>
> In this case, it seems logical to me that I don't want a one-to-one
> mapping between calendar folders and task folders, because I have so
> many tasks that I need more finely grained grouping of them than I do
> for the wedding prep appointments.

well, there is always categories for doing this fine-grained grouping,
so there is really no need to have different folders.

> > In the case where they are separate settings, instead, you have to
> > select it twice (once with the nice large side bar, and once with the
> > more awkward option menu ;-)).  So I suspect it would be more handy if
> > you had it the other way.
>
> Maybe...
>
> But on the flip side, if you go the integrated route and you start out
> working in your inbox, then you have to do a bit more work to get the
> point of being able to view your complete task list + preview pane. In
> other words, it seems like that path involves an ease-of-use tradeoff
> too.

maybe we could have the task list on the calendar be something like what
there is currently in the summary. Maybe there could just be a setting
to specify the tasks folders to use for that list (not per calendar
folder, but per calendar view)?

cheers