Re: [Evolution-hackers] Calendars and Tasks integration

Hi Ettore, hackers:

Il lun, 2003-08-18 alle 14:36, Ettore Perazzoli ha scritto:
While finishing the initial work for integrating the calendar into the
new UI/shell framework (http://codeblogs.ximian.com/blogs/evolution has
screenshots), I have realized we might have overlooked the basic issue
with how to integrate the calendar and task list in the calendar view.

This looks very nice.

The simple way to do it would be to do it like Apple iCal does it; you
just integrate calendars and tasks in the same object.  I.e. you don't
have "calendar" or "tasks" folders, but you just have "calendar and
tasks" folders that can contain both.

This model is nice, because tasks and calendars tend to be related to
each other and having just one entity makes it simpler for the user.

Having just one entity doesn't necessarily make it simpler, does it? It seems that having two separate, well-organized models would be much simpler than one stretched-thin one.  (Just thinking that this assumption that an integrated view would be more usable isn't necessarily true.)

On the other hand, there might be a few issues with this:

      * UI.  We still want to have the task-only table-based list;
        however, it might not make sense as a stand-alone component
        anymore.  Maybe we could have a button (in the toolbar?) to
        switch to tasks-only mode when you are in the calendar?  Then
        you could use the same button to switch back to
        calendar-and-tasks mode.

I don't like the sound of this. This would increase the number of places in the UI where the user can navigate views, and complicate the toolbar by adding a new kind of functionality to it (as well as more buttons).

Alternatively, we could keep the current way, i.e. keep calendars and
tasks separate components and have a way to select which tasks are being
shown in the taskbar on the right.  However, I am afraid this might turn
into an even bigger mess, since the user model would be more
complicated, we would require the user to configure more stuff, etc.

I think I favor keeping something like the current way, with the following modification:

The task list is really not that different from the message list, is it? In the message list, we use the search bar to filter messages -- this makes me wonder if a simple filter bar above the mini-task list in the calendar might make sense.. something like:

Show:  <omenu>"All Tasks", "Tasks Due Today", "<Insert Foldernames here> Tasks" </omenu>

At least that way, it would be simple from the Calendar view for the user to select which tasks she wants to see... and, you'd be reusing an existing UI, so the learning curve would be less than with your navigation-button-in-the-toolbar idea.

Does that make any sense to you? If my explanation isn't clear, let me know, and I can mockup a sample.

Anna

Thoughts?

-- Ettore