Re: [Evolution-hackers] server-side rule notes

A couple more comments ...

On Fri, 2003-08-08 at 12:56, Dan Winship wrote:
> I was going to just append this to the bug, but bugzilla is down
> again...
>
> Structural differences:
>       * Evo supports "all criteria match" or "any criterion matches".
>       * Outlook only supports "all criteria match", BUT you can have
>         multiple OR'ed items inside some rules. (Eg, "Subject contains
>         'foo' OR 'bar', AND Body contains 'baz'").

Evo can actually do this, but the ui wont let you.  Not sure how we
could make it do it either, without the awful outlook filter editor with
a million popups.

>       * Groupwise, Sieve, and procmail support arbitrary combinations of
>         criteria
>       * (Evo can also support arbitrary combinations if you enter an
>         s-expression directly. Exchange can store arbitrarily complex
>         rules if you don't care about them being editable in Outlook.
>         But we mostly do.)

I wonder how we could do this in the ui (and the backend for that
matter).  It would be handy, and it's often been asked for.  Some sort
of nested tree-ish display I guess.  Perhaps a 'and' and 'or' 'rule part
type' which then has a sub-list of rules inside it ...

>       * Body
>               * Sieve does not support body searches natively. (There is
>                 a proposed extension.)

What were they thinking ... perfect candidate for an extension.

Actually mainly i'm curious as to how exchange defines its rules - are
they somewhat sieve (and for that matter, imap-search) like, in that you
have a bunch of specific tests/checks with and/or/not boolean
containers, or are they a bit camel-like in that you can do
almost-arbitrary expression on almost-arbitrary values.

 Michael