[evince] large pdf downloads

I'm using CentOS 5.6 with Firefox 38.5 and Evince for viewing/printing pdf files.  My network is on the slow side.  When I click on a pdf link, I get a real quick about:blank white window that hides itself immediately and then nothing shows on the screen until the pdf has completed downloading.  Then an Evince window comes up with LOADING . . . and almost immediately the pdf displays.  Is there a way to keep evince in the forefront, so a user would know it's doing something and not try to click the link multiple times?  Other than this issue, Evince meets the need.

Thank you for any help you can provide,

Mike

mmarino thingsremembered com