Re: [evince] evince has wide black border

On Tue, 2015-09-29 at 14:50 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
On 2015-09-29, Germán Poo-Caamaño <gpoo gnome org> wrote:
On Tue, 2015-09-29 at 13:48 +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:

I've been trying to switch from acroread to evince for some time, and
it continues to be a stuggle.  [The broken gtk-3 selection handling on
multi-screen systems is a big PITA.]

A couple of weeks ago, evince started displaying with a wide black
border instead of the usual window borders and title bar that all
other applications have.

   http://www.panix.com/~grante/evince.png

Is there any way to get the old, normal X11 behavior back?

I'm unaware of any configuration change that I've made, but both 3.14
and 3.16 now show the black border instead of normal window
decorations.  I'm guessing something in gtk-3 got broken?

I remember an issue like that in the intel's driver to draw shadows.

try with:
$ export GDK_RENDERING=image

And then, put it in some of your init scripts (say .bashrc)

No change.

However, I think I'm confusing two things:

 1) The recent change in the black border size from moderately ugly to
    hugely ugly.

 2) The general brokeness of CSD on most desktops.

After googling some more, I reduced the black border size by adding
this to ~/.config/gtk-3.0/gtk.css:

.window-frame {
  box-shadow: none;
  margin: 1;
}

That reduces the black border to 1-pixel.  You can reduce it to 0
pixels, but then there's no visual boarder at all (which reduces
readability), and there's no way to resize the window.  It's slightly
less ugly now, but CSD is still annoying.

What I'd really, REALLY like is a way to disable CSD and use normal
window-manager provided borders like the other 99% of the apps I use.

I was going to try using gtk3-nocsd, but I'd have to downgrade gtk3
from 3.16 to 3.14, and I don't feel like doing that at the moment.  Is
there any other way to disable the CSD and get a normal window border
back?

As I said, it is an issue in the graphic driver. what it is in
particular? I have no clue. Until gtk+ started to use them, it seems
nobody got into those issues.

You can try to use something else, wait until the graphic driver gets
fixed, report the bug upstream.

Maybe the gtk+ guys have a better idea of which bug you are triggering,
but I doubt it is gtk+.

--
Germán Poo-Caamaño
http://calcifer.org/