Re: [evince] University of bolton Undergraduate research

On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 13:20 +0100, alex bennett wrote:
Dear developer of Evince
For an assignment for my computing course to research on an open
source project, and communicate with a developer who currently
maintains the project and to research the software and its development
as open source software.
How did you become involved in the development of Evince?

There is no process AFAIK;  very few Open Source projects have a
'process'.  He [or she] who submits code is then a member.

Why was evince developed as an open source project?

It is a GNOME application, and GNOME is Open Source.  Really, why would
someone develop as closed-source is a much better question.

The best way to contact active developers is probably via the IRC
channel listed on the project's home page.

Or contact a team member directly - https://projects.gnome.org/evince/

How has open source benefited the development of Evince?

People can contribute.  They cannot contribute to a closed source
project.  It also could not be part of the much larger GNOME community.
And possibly it uses GPL dependencies [??? I don't know], in which case
it legally must be Open Source [it is important to distinguish between
GPL, LGPL, and non-GPL such as BSD and MIT/X11].