[evince] menus/icons broken for version >=3.7.x

hello everybody,

I must be missing something because I cannot find any similar report
all around

After upgrade from 3.6.1 to 3.7.x, most of the menus and icons of
evince are broken: some appear as rectangular areas without any string
or icon inside, some even with the "broken" icon. On the whole, the
upper part of the evince window is unusable. I have plopped an image
which shows what I am trying to describe here:

    http://www.dsch.univ.trieste.it/~balducci/tmp/evince-broken.png

This is true also for the very latest release 3.8.0

What puzzles me is that 3.6.1 works perfectly. I keep evince under
stow, so I can quickly switch between versions 3.6.1 3.7.5 3.7.92 and
3.8.0: of the four installations, only 3.6.1 works nicely, while all
others give the broken gui.

Just to be 100% sure, today I have also rebuilt 3.6.1 with the exact
system environment which I built 3.8.0 with: same compiler version,
same gtk libs, everything the same; same result: 3.6.1 good, 3.8.0 bad

I even tried to strace evince, in order to spot any failure to get
icons, fonts et similia: nothing evident (to me)

I hope that some evince expert/developer on this list can spot the
problem at once: it must be some blatant error on my side, but I cannot
figure it out

Of course, I will be happy to send any detail which might be helpful
(gtk environment used to build etc.)

Also, please, cc to me directly as I am not subscribed to the list

I thank you very much in advance for any help

ciao
gabriele