Re: [evince] pdf split view

Hi,

Let me explain why this feature can be very useful. Suppose that you
are viewing some pdf at page A, but there is a link from page A to
page B and you want to view both pages. If evince has split view, then
users can click the split view bar, which leads to two views of A,
then the users can jump to page B by clicking the link. Now, the users
finishes reading B, then he can unsplit the view and continue to read
A. Users don't have to layout views. (This feature is available in
acrobat, I feel it very useful.)

If it is as Juanjo suggested, then I have to find the same pdf file,
open it a second time, scroll it to A from the initial page and jump
to B, then layout the two evince windows (but I may have to resize the
original windows and the view for A may have changed and I have to
scroll it to make sure I see the same part of page A. Note on Mac OS
X, I don't think there is an easy way to layout two evince windows
side-by-side easily). After I finished reading B, I close the window
for B. Now, I need to maximize the window for A to make sure I have
the maximum viewport for A.

Now you can see that I wasted a lot more time in scrolling views and
resizing windows in the second approach. What is worse is that
references are very common in academic articles. Doing this kind of
scrolling and resizing really disrupt thoughts hence is very
counterproductive. I think that this use case justifies the importance
of this feature.