Re: [evince] How do I script Evince for rendering assessment?

Germán Póo-Caamaño <gpoo gnome org> writes:

On Wed, 2013-04-17 at 11:26 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
Hi,

I need to check the renderings of various viewers for various output
systematically.

So I call the viewer in a script with a specific magnification, use xwd
to dump its window contents and then process the dumps at various
magnifications.

Evince appears to be quite useless for that, and going through the issue
reports makes it look as though its creators are proud of this "we know
better than you what you want" attitude.
[...]

If you want to check rendering, then it is pointless to use Evince for
that. Evince is just a shell and you might get different results
depending of the version of poppler you have installed.

Instead, you should use pdftocairo, which has the options you are
looking for.

Evince and Frescobaldi (a LilyPond shell) both use the same version of
libpoppler for their screen rendering on my system, with strikingly
different appearance and quality in output.

Your advice certainly has merit as it provides a way for making
script-based comparisons in a reliable and repeatable manner.

It's just not clear what one would have to do to make those reflect the
output of different poppler-using applications reliably.

--
David Kastrup