[evince] thumbmails wasting screen real-estate

I'm now on ubuntu-11.10/Unity and it seems to that the thumbnails in the side-pain consume more than 2x their width. When one thumbnail is selected/highlighted the border is roughly 50% of the image left and right. Was this an intentional change. I don't see a configuration parameter for this, but could easily have missed it.

I need to be able to scan an entire section of a book quickly, looking for missing images. I typically stretch the side pain to allow 4 columns of thumbnails. This now takes up an inordinate amount of screen and doesn't fit in "an eyeful" (as defined by how much I can do an ocular grep on).

Thanks