[evince] Printing differs from screen

I have some sheet music books I'm viewing with evince. No problems.
But, when I print there are some characters missing and others
converted. For example, a quarter rest is missing and the character
'S' is converted to a little square.

I'm not sure if the original I'm looking at is an image or text, but
I'm guessing it's NOT a jpg/image embedded into a pdf. If that were
the case I'm sure that random-like characters would not be missing,
and certainly not converted. Not sure how I could tell.

The sheet I'm looking at is done is a "jazz type" so I'm assuming that
between my screen and printer certain characters are not defined. I
have a HP Color LaserJet CP2025 and use Ubuntu 11.10. According to
CUPS the driver used is "Driver:	Generic CUPS-PDF Printer (color,
2-sided printing)"

I'm not sure where to look for an answer!

--
**** Listen to my CD at http://www.mellowood.ca/music/cedars ****
EMAIL: bob mellowood ca