Re: [evince] How to build from source on ubuntu lucid

On Tue, Jan 4, 2011 at 3:43 PM, BM <automessagebuffer gmail com> wrote:
> Thank you all for your quick answer!
>
> I'm trying to recompile (just recompile,not update my system version
> of evince) a modified version of 2.30.3.
> That's also because I didn't manage to resolve all dependencies
> (gtk+-30 for example) for the latest version, but that it is not so
> important after all. I'm happy with this version, but the font/bkgrnd
> colour selection component.
>
> So I tried doing this as advised:
>
>>/.../evince $ mkdir myevince
>> ~/.../evince $ ./autogen.sh --prefix=$PWD/myevince
>> ~/.../evince $ make
>> ~/.../evince $ make install
>> ~/.../evince $ ./myevince/bin/evince

Normally, if you get this from a tarball, doing ./configure
--prefix=$PWD/myevince should work. But since
you already did a /configure without prefix before, I guess you should
also do a make distclean before doing make and make install, this
should fix your error.

To ensure you have all dependencies there is an apt-get command call
builddep that you can find in apt help.

> but at the end the command "make install" aborted with error:
> libtool: install: error: cannot install `libpdfdocument.la' to a
> directory not ending in /usr/local/lib/evince/2/backends
> make[3]: *** [install-backendLTLIBRARIES] Errore 1
> make[3]: uscita dalla directory «/home/mario/evince-2.30.3/backend/pdf»
> make[2]: *** [install-am] Errore 2
> make[2]: uscita dalla directory «/home/mario/evince-2.30.3/backend/pdf»
> make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Errore 1
> make[1]: uscita dalla directory «/home/mario/evince-2.30.3/backend»
> make: *** [install-recursive] Errore 1
>
> Pardon me if I dare to much, but wouldn't it be better if somebody
> would install a fresh copy of ubuntu and then try to recompile the
> version 2.30.3 of evince? And after all put the command history on the
> net?
Yes, it would certainly better, but that would require some time that
people don't usually have. And also, steps for compiling evince are
the basics steps you need to do in every application using autotools.

> I'm new to developing this kind of applications so excuse my ignorance.
> Thank you all!
Don't worry. but may I add:
1. you want to see this new feature in evince, please file a bug in
bugzilla.gnome.org under product evince.
2. Please join us in irc.gimp.net at #evince channel, so it's quicker
for you to get a succesful build of evince.

Greetings

José